NEW DELHI: The Union health ministry on Tuesday said currently plasma therapy is at experimental stage and there is no evidence yet to support that it can be used as treatment for Covid-19. The ministry said that the doubling rate of coronavirus cases now stands at 10.2 days. Meanwhile, with 1,594 new cases of Covid-19 reported in the last 24 hours and 51 deaths, India’s total count of coronavirus cases surged to 29,974 while the death toll has reached 937.
Here are the top developments:
- A total of 6,869 people have been cured of coronavirus in India so far, taking the recovery rate to 23.3 per cent, said the Union ministry of health.
- The Centre has asked all states and Union territories to ensure that health facilities, especially in the private sector, remain functional and those needing critical healthcare such as dialysis, blood transfusion and chemotherapy are not denied such services amid the ongoing lockdown.
- Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant has identified 15 places including Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad as “high case load” and said India’s success in battling Covid-19 is dependent on them.
- People who have very mild symptoms of coronavirus or those pre-symptomatic can opt for home isolation if they have the requisite self-isolation facility at their residence so as to avoid contact with other family members, the health ministry said. According to a new set of guidelines, the patient should be clinically assigned as a very mild case or pre-symptomatic case by the treating medical officer.
- The Supreme Court has asked the Centre to consider the feasibility of ‘temporarily’ adopting the ‘one nation, one ration card’ scheme during the ongoing coronavirus lockdown period to enable the migrant workers and economically weaker sections get subsidised foodgrain.
- Amid the Covid-19 lockdown, the Centre has procured 1.92 lakh tonnes of gram and tur dal and 1.83 lakh tonnes of mustard seeds, totalling 3.75 lakh tonnes under the Price Support Scheme, according to the agriculture ministry.
- The Asian Development Bank said it has approved a USD 1.5 billion (about Rs 11,400 crore) loan to India to help fund its response to the novel coronavirus.
- Indian missions in the UAE will soon start compiling the data of the expatriates wanting to fly back home after getting stuck amidst the coronavirus pandemic in the Gulf nation.
- Uttar Pradesh: The total number of coronavirus cases in Uttar Pradesh crossed the 2,000-mark, with 57 fresh cases. The number has risen to 2043 in UP.
- Tamil Nadu: A 68-year-old man died of Covid-19 and 121 people tested positive for the contagion, taking the aggregate number of those infected in Tamil Nadu so far to 2,058.
- Assam: A 16-year-old girl tested positive for Covid-19 in Assam, taking the total number of such cases in the state to 37.
- Karnataka: Eight new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Karnataka, taking the total number of infections in the state to 523.
- Andhra Pradesh: The rapid spread of coronavirus in Andhra Pradesh continued as 82 fresh cases were reported in the last 24 hours, taking the aggregate to 1,259.
- Delhi: The national capital has reported 3,108 positive cases of coronavirus, so far.
- Maharashtra: The state has reported 8,590 positive case of coronavirus, so far.
- Odisha: Seven people tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Odisha, taking the total number of cases in the state to 118.
- Jharkhand: With one new case reported, Jharkhand’s count of positive coronavirus cases stands at 104 cases.
- Rajasthan: Seven more Covid-19 cases have been reported from Rajasthan, taking the total number of coronavirus cases in the state to 2,335.
- Haryana: Haryana’s tally of positive Covid-19 cases stands at 304 (including 14 Italian nationals).
- J&K: The death toll due to Covid-19 in Jammu and Kashmir has risen to eight after a coronavirus positive elderly woman died. Jammu and Kashmir has reported 546 positive cases of Covid-19, so far.
- West Bengal: The state reported 28 Covid-19 cases, pushing the total to 663, while the number of fatalities rose to 22 in the state with two new deaths.
- Kerala: Four more persons have tested positive for #COVID19; taking the total positive cases to 485 which includes 123 active cases.
- Chandigarh: Till now, there are a total of 56 Covid-19 positive cases in Chandigarh.
- Uttarakhand: A 56-year-old woman, who was admitted to AIIMS, Rishikesh last week, tested positive for Covid-19, taking the total number to 52.
- Himachal Pradesh: The state has not reported any fresh Covid-19 case in the past five days. So far, 41 coronavirus cases have been reported in the state and the number of active cases is 10.
- Punjab: Till now, the state has reported 313 positive cases of Covid-19, so far.
- Gujarat: In the last 24 hours, 226 Covid-19 positive cases were reported in Gujarat, taking the total number of cases in the state to 3774.
- The new coronavirus has killed at least 211,185 people worldwide since the outbreak. More than 3,030,240 cases were registered in 193 countries and territories.
- The United States has imposed stricter restrictions on exports to China, which includes civil aircraft components and items related to semiconductors. The US has the highest number of deaths with 56,253 out of 988,469 cases.
- The UK came together for a minute’s silence in the honour of hundreds of healthcare and other workers who have lost their lives on the frontline of the coronavirus fightback. The coronavirus cases in the UK has reached 158,348 while 21,092 people have died.
- Authorities in Beijing are set to close a Covid-19 special hospital after clearing all the cases even as China reported six new coronavirus infections and 40 fresh asymptomatic cases.
- Singapore reported 528 new coronavirus cases, the vast majority of them linked to foreign workers, including Indians, residing in dormitories that have emerged as the hotspots for the transmission of the disease in the country.
- Iran announced 71 deaths from the coronavirus, and said there were also more than 1,000 new cases of infection in the country. The fatalities recorded in the past 24 hours brought to 5,877 the overall death toll.
- Pakistan government is closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation in the country, PM Imran Khan has said as the number of coronavirus cases crossed the 14,000-mark and claimed the lives of over 300 people.
- Expressing concern over the disruptions caused in immunisations due to the coronavirus pandemic, the UN Children’s Fund warned that South Asia could face yet another health emergency if children across the region did not receive their life-saving vaccine shots. Almost a quarter of the world’s unimmunised or partially immunised children—about 4.5 million children—live in South Asia. Almost all of them, or 97 per cent, live in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Nepal recorded two new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of the Covid-19 patients in the country to 54.